Saturday, April 26, 2008

Redemption!

Well, there are some people in Harlem that can watch me perform and refrain from immediate booing.

I live right next to Jackie Robinson Park, where today Disney, ESPN and the NYC Parks and Recreation folks were hosting "Street Games." I wandered over to check it out, and saw kids playing stickball, jump rope, skully, hopscotch, and a bunch of other simple, high-energy games. Unfortunately, I didn't notice a kick-the-can station, or I would've been all over that. I'm a great can-kicker.

They had entertainment acts on the bandshell as well, including a kid doing yo-yo tricks and a James Brown impersonator, but I had to leave that area quickly because in between acts they were playing Disney Radio versions of songs I like ("Take On Me," Bicycle Race," etc.), and it was quickly making me not like them.

I wandered farther down the park, past the arts and crafts stations and the hot dog stand, and found that 98.7 Kiss (a station which, as I've mentioned before, evokes very strong feelings) had a table set up and was giving away tickets to an advance screening (I originally typed "advanced screening," but I don't think that's correct--unless 3-D glasses are involved or something) of Ironman to people who would sing into their microphone.

With a crowd of about 20 people watching, I belted out the first verse and chorus of "Livin' On A Prayer," without Ray Chew there to help me sound good. I received a fist pound from the DJ, kudos for performing fearlessly in Harlem, free movie tickets, and most importantly, no boos!

I'm back, baby!

3 comments:

Spencer said...

I'm glad you got to experience a good thing after getting booed. Hopefully you've gained some insight and respect for the world of stand up comedy. I hope to make it out to New York myself sometime.

Tamara said...

Livin' on a Prayer is one of my favorite songs ever, if I was there I would have backed you up.

jeff said...

I know you would've Tamara. And we would've rocked!

Spencer, I have a lot of respect for comedians, but not much for the actual world of stand up. Respect is probably the wrong word--I have very little interest in pursuing a career in it. It seems so heartless and soul-crushing. There are so many aspiring comics in Times Square every day, trying to get people to come to the various comedy shows, and most of them seem so unhappy, and even most of those who are more upbeat still won't be very successful. Which is why I admire those who want to do it badly enough to endure all of the stuff you have to go through before you make it big (and most never do). So good luck to you, Spenc, because I know that it is something you really want, that you're really committed to.

That was long.