Monday, July 13, 2009

Eight is not nearly enough

Here's the 8th installment of the weekly countdown, which means it's the fifth or sixth installment since most people stopped caring. Let the good times continue to roll!

#325-301

325. "I Wanna Sex U Up," Color Me Badd (1991)
324. "We Belong," Pat Benatar (1983)
323. "Sunglasses At Night," Corey Hart (1985)
How dare the Milwaukee Brewer of the same name use anything but this song when he comes to the plate?
322. "(Can't Live Without Your) Love And Affection," Nelson (1990)
Before The Jonas Brothers, before Hanson, there was...Nelson!
321. "It's The End Of The World As We Know It," R.E.M. (1988)
320. "Rosanna," Toto (1982)
319. "Nobody Knows," Tony Rich Project (1997)
318. "Your Love," The Outfield (1986)
Thank goodness for having the years added on the list...I might've mistaken The Outfield with Fastball.
317. "Man In The Mirror," Michael Jackson (1988)
Two of my friends have blogged about various interpretations of this song.
316. "Secret Garden," Bruce Springsteen (1997)
Bruce's gritty songs fit in well on the soundtracks of "Philadelphia" and "The Wrestler," but I always thought letting him do the title tune for this children's classic was a mistake. Oh wait. That's not the movie it was in? My bad.
315. "Lovefool," Cardigans (1997)
314. "Mony Mony," Billy Idol (1987)
Picture yourself at a church or school dance, and all together now..."whoo...whoo whoo (uhh uhh)."
313. "Love Takes Time," Mariah Carey (1990)
312. "Born To Be My Baby," Bon Jovi (1989)
311. "Live To Tell," Madonna (1986)
Already the 7th Madonna song on the list. Impressive.
310. "Mr. Jones," Counting Crows (1994)
309. "We Got The Beat," Go Go's (1982)
308. "Don't Forget Me When I'm Gone," Glass Tiger (1986)
I always thought it sounded like Bryan Adams provided vocals on this song...and it turns out I was right! Sweet.
307. "Touch Me (All Night Long)," Cathy Dennis (1991)
306. "Sister Christian," Night Ranger (1984)
As we go farther on the list, it stands to reason that the songs will get better and better, which means the jokes might be fewer and fewer...this seems like a song, video and band that I should be making fun of, but I like it too much.
305. "I Can't Wait," Nu Shooz (1986)
304. "Walking On The Sun," Smashmouth (1997)
A more painful activity and less pleasant song than "Walkin' On Sunshine."
303. "No One Is To Blame," Howard Jones (1986)
302. "Nasty," Janet Jackson (1986)
A pretty great video for this one.
301. "Dreams," Van Halen (1986)

The songs do seem to be getting better. Back with more of them next week.

3 comments:

Kristina said...

"Walking on Sun"? I hate, hate, hate that song. I loathe it. "Mr. Jones" is way better.

You read TAMN?? Not even I read that obnoxious blog, Jeff.

Janelle said...

I still care, Jeff!

Wow, it's been forever since I've heard #325.

I love 321. My husband can sing it in a chipmunk voice. It's hilarious to watch his face turn red as he waits to be able to inhale again.

317 is not one of my favorite MJ songs, but it's got a good message.

I had never heard 316 until Jerry Maguire came out, and the local radio station in Portland, OR did a remix of movie clips voiced over the song. Now, whenever I hear the song, I think of the cheesy "You had me at hello" voice-overs. Bummer too, because it's a good song.

Love love love 315 and 310! Also like 311.

I have to agree with your comment on 304. Walking on the Sun was a good song the first 100 times I heard it on the radion during its debut week. Then it got annoying.

Wow. I had a lot to say this time. Sorry. :)

shabba shabba said...

I can't figure out why every single song in this list isn't by Van Halen.

And I can't figure out why Color Me Badd had even one song on this list. They SUCKED. I hope they were all eaten in quick succession by a python.