Monday, July 20, 2009

Nine times? I don't remember reading these pop song countdown posts nine times...

Here we go again.

#300-276

300. "St. Elmo's Fire," John Parr (1985)
The best soundtrack song in this section of the list.
299. "Run Around," Blues Traveler (1995)
298. "Hard To Say I'm Sorry," Chicago (1982)
If there's one music-related joke I've told more often than any other, it's my quip that all Utah households are required to have at least one copy of Chicago's Greatest Hits 1982-1989. And maybe it's not actually a joke.
297. "Thriller," Michael Jackson (1984)
If you haven't seen this great cover yet...well, that's what the Internet is for, and one of my top reasons for keeping a blog.
296. "Time Of Your Life," Green Day (1998)
After this song came out, it was probably at least 2003 before any other song was used to create a montage or retrospective.
295. "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go," Wham (1984)
This just might be the quintessential '80s music video. Click the link, and choose life.
294. "Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman," Bryan Adams (1995)
293. "Hold Me Now," Thompson Twins (1985)
292. "The Boys Of Summer," Don Henley (1985)
291. "I'll Be There," Escape Club (1991)
290. "Footloose," Kenny Loggins (1984)
The best soundtrack song in this section of the list, if you're at a dance.
289. "Everyday Is A Winding Road," Sheryl Crow (1996)
288. "Baby I Love Your Way," Big Mountain (1994)
287. "I Ran," A Flock Of Seagulls (1982)
No, not this song. A different one.
286. "Wind Beneath My Wings," Bette Midler (1989)
285. "Where The Streets Have No Name," U2 (1987)
I unfortunately cannot verify that this song is about Salt Lake City. But the video is cool.
284. "Hold On," Wilson Phillips (1990)
283. "Let It Whip," Dazz Band (1982)
282. "Wait," White Lion (1988)
I couldn't remember this song just from the title. How could I forget this?
281. "Come Go With Me," Expose (1987)
280. "Walking In Memphis," Marc Cohn (1991)
279. "I Would Die 4 U," Prince (1985)
278. "The Warrior," Scandal (1984)
Before he was a wisecracking DUI machine, Charles Barkley was an impressive and intimidating basketball player. And this song fit him perfectly.
277. "Right Here Right Now," Jesus Jones (1991)
This song was definitely used in at least one of those motivational "Pepsi assemblies" we had in junior high...does anyone else remember those?
276. "Walking On Sunshine," Katrina & the Waves (1985)
This song should be ranked much higher. It's pretty great.

Walking in Memphis, on sunshine...I ran/run around...footloose...wow, there was actually a theme this week!

4 comments:

shabba shabba said...

Oh wow. A strong group this week. Nice work. Still, "Runaround" by Van Halen is so much better than "Run Around" by Blues Traveler.

Dude, "I'll Be There" by the Escape Club... man, they really, really stunk. That song was so cheesy it would grow mold if you left it on the counter too long. But I confess to having liked it.

Hey, did "Little Fighter" by White Lion show up on the list? One of the most underrated guitar songs of the 80s easily.

I feel like such a loser when I'm the first one to comment on these lists, and the only one to comment on each one. But I can't help myself. I love lists, and I love 80s and 90s music. They have medication for this, I bet.

Janelle said...

I'm sorry to say that I do love #298, and I'll sing along really cheesily whenever I hear it.

Thriller is only 297? That's it? Shouldn't it be higher up?

Oh my gosh, ditto on how long Time of Your Life lasted. Barf!

Wake Me up -- love it! Seriously though, I watch that video and think "How did anybody not know he's gay?"

Sheryl Crow is awesome. It's nice to see her on this list. There hasn't been much (if any) of her up until now.

My aunt watched the filming of that U2 video. They're one of her all-time favorites.

There are a few others this week that I also like, but I don't find them comment-worthy.

angelalois said...

I bet you're glad you posted this BEFORE MJ died or else you'd be like, "Thriller, I'm sick of hearing Thriller. Make it go away!"

angelalois said...

or maybe I'm a month off?