Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Frozen food for thought

I finally got around to trying the new Hot Pockets "Sideshots" the other day. I'm normally a fan of any greasy meat-filled item I can throw in the microwave, especially if said item reminds me of Jim Gaffigan.

But I was resistant to the Sideshots...and it was all because of their commercials. We're supposed to believe that these people are outcasts because they eat a burger-shaped Hot Pocket with their hands, instead of a fork? Please. As if anyone has ever eaten a Hot Pocket, or a non-microwaveable hamburger, with utensils. It's ludicrous.

I know they ate Snickers bars with a knife and fork on Seinfeld, but that was only funny because it was so ridiculous. I've seen firsthand that British people eat pizza with utensils, but they also put sweetcorn on it, so we can't take their "behaviour" seriously.

Speaking of Mr. Hot Pocket...I'm semi-tempted to see the new Justin Long-Drew Barrymore rom-com just because Gaffigan is in it (although I successfully resisted the temptation to see The Love Guru, and that had Gaffigan AND Stephen Colbert in it). And speaking of Long, do you think the "Dude, you're gettin' a Dell" guy ever looks at him and wonders what might have been? But I digress...where was I?

Oh yeah, the Sideshots. I'd buy them again, I guess. But not if there's a sale on frozen White Castle sliders.

5 comments:

Janelle said...

It's probably been close to a decade since I've eaten a hot pocket, but when I do (did?) it's usually with silverware. I burned my hand without silverware once, when filling oozed out, and I've only ever used a knife and fork since then.

Larissa said...

The suspense is killing me. You said you tried it but never if it was any good? And "Going the Distance" got a great review from Entertainment Weekly. I'll watch it on my new ClearPlay when it comes out. Still can't get into those R's:-)

Tamara said...

ah, Gaffigan. thanks for reminding me of the most awesome night of comedy i've ever had!!! so funny!

Jules AF said...

I totally want to see the new Justin whatever/Drew Barrymore movie. I love him. I've loved him since He's Just Not That into You, even though I disliked that movie.

jeff said...

Janelle, they now have a "crisping sleeve" that you cook the Hot Pocket in, and you can leave it in the sleeve to eat (like a McDonald's hash brown) and save your fingers. And I guess you're the exception that proves the rule. :-)

Larissa, I semi-reviewed the product in my last paragraph. They're fine, but not as good as a regular Hot Pocket. And an R-rated rom-com? That's unusual. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to the commercials.