Friday, September 24, 2010

Hello, ladies

It's fall television premiere season, the most wonderful time of the year for a TV junkie like me. Here's my list of the top 10 women I'm excited to have back in my life on a weekly basis (with a couple of extra categories).

MISSED THE CUT
Lacey Schwimmer, Dancing With The Stars
Definitely would be on the list if she hadn't gone blond.
Marge Simpson, The Simpsons
Physical appearance is a huge factor on this list--I won't be doing a similar post about TV dudes--and despite Marge's recent Playboy spread, I'm not a big fan of the Olive Oyl body type.

HONORABLE MENTION
Cerie Xerox, 30 Rock
Emma Pillsbury, Glee
Avery Jessup, 30 Rock
These shows debuted this week, but missing these regular characters. And yes, I'm ranking the characters from scripted shows. I don't know what the real people are like.

10. Quinn Fabray, Glee
Would be ranked higher if this list was 100% physical, but she can be kinda witchy and not a tremendous singer.
9. Jules Cobb, Cougar Town
The best-looking middle-aged drunk on a show full of good-looking middle-aged drunks.
8. Annie Edison, Community
7. Britta Perry, Community
Trending upward. Both could easily crack the top 5 if the show's second season is as good as the first.
6. Pam Halpert, The Office
I liked her more as a single receptionist than as a married salesperson.
5. Claire Dunphy, Modern Family
Gives an underrated, Jason-Bateman-in-Arrested-Development-esque performance as the "straight man" in the funniest show on TV.
4. Anna Trebunskaya, Dancing With The Stars
I've always had a thing for redheads. I know she's married, but I enjoy watching her. Dance. I enjoy watching her dance.
3. Liz Lemon, 30 Rock
Not only does Tina Fey look really good in glasses, but she looks weird without them. Keep the glasses on all season, Liz.
2. Sue Sylvester, Glee
As I said, the list is largely looks-based, but I'm not 100% shallow.
1. Gloria Pritchett-Delgado, Modern Family
Ay ay ay! Well done, Al Bundy. Well done.


[Update: A couple of big brain farts by me. Should have chosen Glee's Brittany over Quinn--nearly as attractive and way more entertaining. Also, I made my list a few days too early, forgetting that Saturday Night Live also returns this weekend. So Quinn and Jules get swapped out for Brittany and Kristen Wiig, and Abby Elliott is tied for fourth. I told you, I like redheads.]

So how chauvinistic/lame am I for doing this? And which are the best females TV characters I'm missing out on by not watching Bones, or House, or pretty much any hour-long drama or anything on CBS?

5 comments:

Kate said...

I think this is a better way to welcome the TV shows back than trying to recap all the new episodes. For some reason, everyone thinks they can summarize better than the next guy...anyway, if I were making a list of the ladies, I would have included 13 and Cameron from House, Christina and Meredith from Grey's Anatomy,JJ and Garcia from Criminal Minds, Bonnie, Caroline and Elena from Vampire Diaries, Olivia from SVU, and Brittany from Glee. But my list is based almost entirely on people I'd want to hang out with rather than looks.

Janelle said...

Well, you're missing four just from those two other shows you mentioned. Emily Deschanel, who plays Temperance Brennan/Bones on Bones. A lot of guys think her sister (Zooey Deschanel) is better looking, but I respectfully disagree. There's also Tamara Taylor, who plays Camille Saroyan on Bones. Her character is very office/professional sexy. The last one from Bones is Michaela Conlin, who plays Angela Montenegro, who is just plain sexy. From House, you miss Lisa Edelstein playing Dr. Lisa Cuddy, who has a fair amount of sex appeal mixed with professional sexiness.

Is it weird that I'm a woman commenting on all that?

Lady Holiday said...

You are missing Joan and Betty on Mad Men!!!

M. McCune said...

If you like red heads you are DEFINITELY missing out on Joan of Mad Men. Seriously the hottest red head around and one of the best shows on TV.

Also, I happen to think that Elena on Vampire Diaries is too hot to be allowed. I'm just sayin'.

jeff said...

I am well aware of Joan Holloway. But Mad Men is a summer show, so it doesn't fit the category, and also I've only seen the first six episodes of season 1. I plan to watch them all but haven't got around to it yet.