Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thanks for the Memorex

My VCR finally died. It's inexplicable that it lasted as long as it did. But I miss it already.

Back in 2005, my long-time roommate Greg moved out of our apartment. He had tons of stuff (TVs, VCRs, computers, DVDs, etc.), and was very generous in sharing it. On the day he moved out, my other roommate Hardy joined me on a trip to Wal-Mart where I bought a big TV for the living room, a small one for my bedroom, and a VCR for each.

(In case you didn't know already, I'm a television addict.)

Sometime in 2007, something weird happened to one of the VCRs. The tape refused to eject, but somehow it continued working. I could record something, watch it, rewind, and record over it again. And the tape quality never seemed to deteriorate. It was still usable, I just couldn't use that VCR to watch my other tapes or to record something I wanted to keep forever. But it kept working time after time.

Until this week. I recorded something, then tried to rewind the tape, but instead it spit the tape halfway out and shut down. I unplugged it, plugged it back in, but when I pushed play it was just static.

But we had plenty of good times, and I definitely got my money's worth. Plus I still have the other one. And hopefully it will last for a long time, because nobody really sells VCRs anymore. DVRs are great, mainly for the ability to begin watching something from the beginning while still recording the ending, but I actually prefer a VCR when it comes to precision of control. Plus I'm too poor to get a DVR right now. Long live the VCR!

2 comments:

angelalois said...

seriously!! even to have a DVR you have to pay for a service, right? like TiVo? Paying for all that cable and DVDs and movies and Netflix, we can't afford another monthly bill, sheesh! We still have and love our VCR. That is also why I don't want to convert to BluRay. I resist change.

Kathryn said...

Hi Jeff. Sorry about your VCR. Will home electronics come back in the resurrection? Maybe just the ones we truly loved.

Hey: Rachel is coming to town end of September, and we're having a birthday party for my daughter. Also, we still want to set you up with my sister-in-law, the Princess of the Library. Send me an email and let me know what you have going on: kathrynmeeker@gmail.com Or just facebook my mother. Either way :)