Saturday, March 29, 2008

Someone, someday, will choo-choo-choose me

I missed my ward's Valentine's Day party because my visit to The Colbert Report went long, so V-Day was just a single celebration this year. Actually, Valentine's Day has always been a "single" celebration for me (I honestly didn't set out to make a joke in that last sentence, but it worked out well, like the one I made about Bill at Amy's wedding reception a few years ago--probably only David and Will know what I'm talking about, and it's going to stay that way).

Holly and her roommates were kind enough to host a Valentine's party for all of us half-couples. They even made cool heart-shaped cakes. It was a standard munch-and-mingle kind of gathering, a tried-and-true format that most people (myself included) seem to enjoy, but a few rounds of Spin the Bottle or even a Teen Wolf-like "seven minutes in heaven" closet would've been awesome.

I'm not a big believer in karma, except in Culture Club songs, or when it works out in my favor, and I got some good karma on Valentine's Day. While at the party, I got a call, and as soon as I saw that it was Quiana, I knew what it must be. I've been letting Quiana drive my car back in Provo while I've been out here (I actually mean it when I ask my home-teachees "Is there anything I can do for you?"), and as I guessed, she was calling me to let me know there had been an accident.

As soon as she told me, my first thought was literally, "Great! No car to worry about when I get back to Utah will make me even more likely to move to NYC permanently." Even better, though, she told me that nobody was hurt and that the damage was relatively minor (remember, I said this was good karma), and the other driver was the one at fault.

It's been a lengthy process, partly because I'm thousands of miles away, but the other guy's insurance is giving me almost $3000, and Quiana got an estimate of about $700 on the repair from a body shop she's taken her old car to, so I actually stand to make some money when all is said and done. It's actually strange how good being in New York has been for me financially, since it's so much more expensive than Provo. On Valentine's Day and every other day, I love New York!

No comments: