Monday, September 29, 2008

High School Muse-ical

In conjunction with my last post, here's the long-awaited recap of the other major event of my final week in Utah: my ten-year high school reunion.

I have to say, it went pretty much exactly how I thought it would. I showed up, looked around at all the new additions (the school underwent a major remodel since I attended, allowing it to be used for various Disney productions, and this was my first time back since all of the changes were made), enjoyed seeing old friends for the first time in years, and either avoided talking to them because I figured it would get awkward, or talked to them briefly, allowed the awkwardness to ensue, then stopped talking to them and avoided them the rest of the night.

A few people have lost some hair, some (including myself) have put on some weight, and there was at least one intra-graduating class marriage that I was unaware of, but there weren't too many big surprises. A few reasons for this: there weren't any kids around (there had been a separate event for families earlier in the day), which kept me from feeling like we had all aged; I'm friends with many of these people on Facebook, so I kind of know what they look like even though I haven't seen them for years; and, as mentioned, most of the brief conversations I had were kept highly superficial, even by reunion standards.

I did enjoy the slide show, which was basically the senior picture of anyone who RSVP'd that they would be there, followed by any current pictures that were submitted. I didn't send any in, but that didn't stop the reunion organizers from poaching some photos from my blog. It worked out great: I didn't have to do any work, and everyone got to see me in my Batman costume. The music was also outstanding; I definitely felt like I was at a stomp in the old gym in 1998. Good work, Spencer.

Now let's see some pictures, which, if you visit here often, you know I only ever include with my posts as a set-up for jokes, some of which are even amusing.


Me in front of the new school sign. This is before I even went in; I brought my own name tag. Weirdest part of the day: my mom going on and on about how awful that shirt looked with olive green shorts, which is how I originally dressed that morning. I've never claimed to know much about fashion, but I can't figure out why that wouldn't look ok.


I found myself on the nerd board, I mean the 30+ Club plaque, honoring those students who aced the ACT. They could've saved wall space, and continued to honor me, by changing it to the 34+ Club. That's right, I'm a genius.


My siblings also test well, although the plaque-makers seem to be part of the 15- Club. We may be smart in the HofmanN family, but we lack the brains and beauty combo possessed by Ms. Harrington, if I'm accurately remembering the stories my brother told me in junior high.


Murray High School even makes their own soap dispensers. Fancy.


Emily, my best friend from college, was kind enough to be my date for the evening. One person thought they recognized her as a member of our graduating class, but most people assumed we were married. Speaking of which...I extended my streak of marriage-related faux pas statements to two high school reunions. This one wasn't as bad: I asked my good friend Mathew, who took this picture, if I was the only single guy there that night. He informed me that he was in the same category, having recently been divorced. I think I'll just stop talking at reunions, assuming I ever go to another one.


Although spearless, I think I strike just as regal a pose as our mighty Spartan mascot. Then again, I'd probably stand just like this if I were trying to look like a Smelterite.

See you in 2018, MHS!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i didn't even realize they spelled my name wrong-- which shows how dum i am too, i guess-- i still have my murray high academic excellence t-shirt, on which they spelled "acedemic" and "excelence" wrong-- MHS rocks!!

jeff said...

I'm shocked. I thought I had usurped all of your shirts from that era.