Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Like a Virgin

I've always known Richard Branson was a little crazy, but I never expected this. Last week season 11 of The Simpsons came out on DVD (they just started season 20, so they're a little behind), and while searching for the best deal online I was stunned to find Virgin selling it for $4.99!

At the time I'm posting this, the deal is still on, so take advantage while you can! This is one of the last really good seasons, and includes my all-time favorite episode, "Behind the Laughter."

But there's an even better reason for doing it...shortly after making my first-ever purchase from virginmega.com, I received this e-mail:

"Dear Jeff Hofmann,

It started as a dream. You wanted the best in music, movies, fashion, electronics, books and games, so you went to Virginmega.com. You lovingly selected items and placed them lovingly in a shopping cart. Then you lovingly paid for the items, and now we're lovingly telling you that your order D08155963 has been received.

Oh, happy day!

And soon, as if by witchcraft, an email will appear in your inbox, confirming your order and hopefully making you feel oh so good."

They kept their word. Within hours, this e-mail appeared, although I'm not sure how much witchcraft was involved:

"Dear Jeff Hofmann,

Today might just be the best day of your life. Your order from VirginMega.com is confirmed.

Soon, what can only be described as an army of unicorns will descend on our stock and pull the items that you want. After that, a wizard will cast a boxing spell and enchant your items into a "box". Then, a falcon will carry the box to your house.

Actually, we'll ship it how you requested, but we're totally working on the falcon thing."

Then, two days later, they sent me this doozy:

"Dear Jeff Hofmann,

Today is your lucky day!

Your order from Virginmega.com is on its way to you! This just might go down as the second greatest day of your life, placing just after the day you receive your order and just before meeting the love of your life/having a kid or something/teaching your dog to get you stuff from the fridge/winning the lottery. In any case, this is a sweet day, so cherish it always."

I'd love to read the interoffice memos of a company that puts this much effort into its form letters. A heartless corporation has never made me feel so loved.

2 comments:

Tabitha said...

Don't you love British humor? I wish Americans could joke more about simple stuff like that. It would certainly make things more interesting.
So my husband had his gallbladder out yesterday. Apparently it's very common. He had it all done laproscopically though so, no fun staples to deal with. Hope you're doing well!

angelalois said...

that is freaking hilarious. i love it. once I was flying Frontier and our flight attendant, before we landed, said "be careful when opening the overhead bins, as items have been known to fall out and kill people." I love it when they get a little edgy, you know?