Saturday, December 20, 2008

The 2008 Bloggy Awards

If you missed it, you can check out all of the nominees in greater detail in the previous post. But now...on to the winners!

LONGEST POST
The Bloggy goes to..."Boo Radley," the post where I detailed my Apollo experience. No surprise there. Lousy objective categories, removing all of the drama...

MOST COMMENTS ON A SINGLE POST
21 comments on "Opening Act," my very first post. It's been all downhill from there. It's time for you readers to step up!

BEST POST TITLE
The burrito one, of course. A subjective category, sure, but in that post's first paragraph I basically name this one the all-time winner in this category. There were some worthy competitors, though. I should write headlines for a New York tabloid.

BEST MULTI-PART POST
My Apollo audition story. The sister missionary story is more entertaining, but I'm not going to give one of my Bloggies for something I didn't even write!

FUNNIEST LINK
I'll give it to the Toyland trailer, but probably just because it's been on my brain lately (tonight is my first viewing of said classic this year).

BEST COLLECTION OF LINKS
I do love stand-up comedy, but I have to go with the dentists on this one. Such a variety of clips: Seinfeld, WWF, horror and musical versions of Little Shop...they're like electronic laughing gas.

BEST UNEXPECTED LINK
I love the horse manure one, but most people don't even realize when they see it that it's a WWF promo. So I'll give the Bloggy to the McDonald's commercial.

BEST COMMENT MADE BY ME
My comment about ice cream at the Brooklyn Bridge was a funny story that should've gone into the original post. It's a winner.

BEST COMMENT MADE BY SOMEONE ELSE
This one was really hard to choose. There were more nominations for this category than any other, and deservedly so. But Joey's impassioned and intelligent case for 4 Non Blondes is ultimately my (just barely) favorite comment anyone has ever left on my blog.

BEST SINGLE PICTURE
Some great choices, but clearly the best is the shot of the marquee promoting a sermon on "eating bacon as a spiritual practice." Partly because it wasn't a posed, planned photo, just something I was fortunate to stumble upon, but mainly because it means Denny's can double as a church.

BEST PHOTO ESSAY
I'm giving the Bloggy to the post about my first Harlem apartment. The pictures aren't great, but I think it's the one with the best captions. So the best picture was a picture of words, and this category was determined by comments and jokes...clearly, it's all about text on my blog.

BEST USE OF SOMETHING I WROTE BEFORE I STARTED THIS BLOG
The April Fools prank was really fun when I first did it, but my post about reunions is one of my favorite things I've ever written. The description of a typical missionary reunion conversation gives that post the edge and the Bloggy.

BEST ANECDOTE FROM MY PRE-BLOGGING DAYS
As good as the Wayne's World story is, it can't top the tale of getting Triple H's gum at a WWF live event. That's just a great anecdote. And anecdote is a great word.

BEST ANECDOTE FROM MY BLOGGING DAYS
The Garry Marshall experience, like the gum story, is something that could never be made up, or recreated. It is extremely Bloggy-worthy. Congrats, Mr. Marshall, and thanks for wearing a tux instead of a dress to make your acceptance speech.

BEST LINE
The Sunday School one is probably the best, but it's Colbert's line, and again, I'm not giving my Bloggies to someone else. I'm gonna go with holy guacamole.

BEST POST
There have been some great ones, but it seems wrong to give this top Bloggy award to any post other than "Boo Radley." It's the centerpiece of my year of writing. The event it describes is the inspiration for the title of my blog, and one of the main reasons I started it in the first place. It was one of the most memorable days of my life, and I feel that the epic prose I wrote about it represents it well.

So there you have it. Thanks for voting, for your other comments, and especially just for reading. Since I'll be hanging with my fam and their dial-up Internet the next few weeks, this may be my final post until '09. But who knows...maybe Santa will leave some DSL in my dad's stocking this year.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Can I still get an honorable mention trophy?

Anonymous said...

Shoot! I didn't win!
Then again, I don't think I voted so, oh well.
Congrats on the Bloggy's everyone!........& Jeff!

Marlene

shabba shabba said...

Thank you, thank you... I'd just like to thank my mom and dad for feeding me lots of hot dogs growing up... and Mrs. VanWinkle my sixth grade teacher for, I don't know, just, you know, teaching us stuff...

Lady Holiday said...

And now are you trying to get the bloggy award for "longest interval between posts?" I miss your award-winning blogging.