Thursday, December 4, 2008

Feeling Chemish-ish

Hey, remember when I used to blog?

I remember, and I miss it. For some reason, I haven't been feeling like writing lately. The Book of Mormon covers over 1000 years of history (more than double that total when you include the Jaredites), but about 400 of those years are covered in less than ten pages, with a series of historians (starting with Enos and culminating with Chemish, the one-verse wonder), having very little to say.

At one point Jarom even writes, "it must needs be that I write a little; but...what could I write more than my fathers have written?...and this sufficeth me" (Jarom 2). As every book from Mosiah through Moroni proves, there was clearly much more to write.

So why did they lose motivation for their version of blogging? I think one of the reasons is given by Omni: "I of myself am a wicked man, and I have not kept...the commandments of the Lord as I ought to have done" (Omni 2).

I can relate. When I haven't been doing what I ought to do, I don't feel like keeping a record of what I have been doing. There's been some of this going on for me lately, for sure. Just like Joseph Smith, "in making this confession, no one need suppose me guilty of any great or malignant sins" (JS-H 28); it's more of a reflection of the feelings of uselessness I often experience as I continue to endure a long stretch of unemployment. I feel like I ought to be working, like I ought to be spending my days more productively, and when I don't (which is sometimes not my fault but usually it is), I lose my desire to blog.

If you've noticed an obvious solution to this situation, don't worry, I have too. I'm optimistic that not only will I have a job soon, but that there will be many new and entertaining blog posts in the coming days and weeks. Specifically, look for something big coming very soon as I prepare to "write the hundredth part" (W of M 5) of my blog.

4 comments:

Tamara said...

thou comparest thy blog to scripture?

interesting...

:)

i like how you said, "When I haven't been doing what I ought to do, I don't feel like keeping a record of what I have been doing."

i totally feel the same way.

can i call you chemish?

Lady Holiday said...

Maybe you can get a job blogging.

Jnuck said...

We just read BOTH the Omni scripture AND the JSH scriptures in institute class today! And it was random that I was in that class because it's not the one I usually go to. Trippy. It's positively cosmic!

jeff said...

You can call me whatever you want, Tamara, as long as you call me.

If I could make money by blogging, that would be awesome. That would be my ideal job, actually.

And Jen, it was even more random that I was in that class that day! Just kidding, it was trippy and cosmic.