Saturday, December 13, 2008

Blog of the century

Not sure if anyone caught it, but I recently made a cryptic remark indicating I was approaching my 100th blog post...and here it is! There have been many good moments, and many great moments. Perhaps a few moments of mediocrity, but I choose to ignore them.

Let's relive the highlights of my blog together. Feel free to leave a comment voting for your favorites in any or all of the following categories (write-in votes--and categories, for that matter--are welcome). All candidates will be listed in chronological order. I could probably turn these into actual polls in the sidebar, but that would be extra work for me, plus your "votes" are merely for my curiosity; I already know who the winners are, and I will reveal them in my next post. Without further ado, here's the Best of My Blog.

LONGEST POST
We'll start with an easy one. I like empirically-based categories like this one, because it really makes the announcement of the winner suspenseful. It reminds me of the 1995 SNL sketch (the Deion Sanders episode) where they gave an ESPY to the stadium with the largest seating capacity. Anyway, here are the nominees:
"Opening Act"
"Boo Radley"
"You all, everybody"
"The Hof-ington Post"

MOST COMMENTS ON A SINGLE POST
Same idea here. I wonder who will win?
"Opening Act"
"Hot Pockets!"
"Brownie, you're doin' a heckuva job"

BEST POST TITLE
"I have learned for myself that Presbyterianism makes great burritos"
"Brownie, you're doin' a heckuva job"
"The audacity of slope"
"Girth-am City"
"The Hof-ington Post"

BEST MULTI-PART POST
Each link is to the first part of the series.
The story of my Apollo audition
The story of my Broadway debut
The story of the pregnant sister missionary

FUNNIEST LINK
I'm linking to the post the link appeared in, so you can get the context I used it in. It shouldn't be hard to find the link itself.
Malibu, the gnarly American Gladiator
Babes In Toyland trailer
The "American Free Press"
John Hodgman's hobo documentary
Wikipedia's expert sources
Subway thief gets more than he bargained for

BEST COLLECTION OF LINKS
Jokes about air travel
Weird dentists
My baseball card collection

BEST UNEXPECTED LINK
This is for the links I included where you probably had no idea what would pop up when you clicked on it.
Indubitably delicious
Apache boy!
HOW many rats?
It really was the summer of George
Dusty Rhodes, wrestler for the "common man"
Some people should only dunk Oreos

BEST COMMENT MADE BY ME
My ice cream looked so (bleeping) good
A band named The Kissing Post?
A bunch of inside jokes
Was I a bed wetter?

BEST COMMENT MADE BY SOMEONE ELSE
Rachel: Too busy being maudlin
Joey: B-Pet should have been a pizza boy
Kristina: Me and Kurt both love Colbert
Joey: "What's Up?" is the greatest song of our lifetime
Amy: Loves when I hit her
CJ: Likes girls who like microscopes
Nicole: Great idea for a new show
Marlene: I've got mouth squirts
John: If you don't like AIDS or cancer, vote Walken

BEST SINGLE PICTURE
The ubiquitous shot of me in my hoodie
The church of bacon
Larissa's booty
Me and CP
I should have farewell parties more often
Batman XXL

BEST PHOTO ESSAY
My first Harlem apartment
My office at Columbia
Monday Night Raw!
Auditioning for American Idol
Class of '98 10-year reunion

BEST USE OF SOMETHING I WROTE BEFORE I STARTED THIS BLOG
LOL April Fools prank
LOL lookalikes
Reunions aren't that great
A complicated parody
I like Halloween
Santa is real

BEST ANECDOTE FROM MY PRE-BLOGGING DAYS
Almost seeing A Walk To Remember
Stalking Katie Moeser
A bacon sausage thing
Wrestling gum
Bugs in drag

BEST ANECDOTE FROM MY BLOGGING DAYS
Garry Marshall
"It's not a tuba"
Richard Gore's Barbershop
Canucks invade NYC

BEST LINE
"Unchecked public urination"
"Holy guacamole"
"I teach Sunday School, [mofo]"
"Half-couples"
"Gladiator, Gum or Boy Band?"
"I have staples in my stomach and am not wearing underwear, but [I don't feel] much like a centerfold."

And finally...

BEST POST
I think this may finally be Scorsese's year.
"Nostalgia and newstalgia"
Groundhog Day post
"Boo Radley"
My taste in music
Drive-ins, gum, and pro wrestling
"Faster, higher, tape-delayed"

The first 100 posts have been pretty great, haven't they? The polls are now open.

4 comments:

Lady Holiday said...

My favorite post was "Feeling Chemish-ish" both for the title and the use of metaphor.

Larissa said...

Wow - I am so honored my booty is being honored! :-)

Nicole said...

I'm pretty much a fan of your whole blog. I always look forward to reading it. But I do think my American Bedroom Idol comment was the tops!

Thoroughly Modern Millie said...

I must admit, I faithfully checked in everyday to finish hearing the pregnant sister missionary story.