Monday, June 22, 2009

Ants marching back in time

Oh, how the mind can wander. Saturday morning I was shaving in the bathroom, when my roommate began blasting "It's A Hard-Knock Life" from Annie.

This reminded me of my freshman year at BYU in the dorms, when there was about a two-week period where Jason Lee would play, very loudly, Jay-Z's version of that song literally six or seven times in a row every afternoon. It was very annoying, but not so much that I would leave my door shut and risk appearing unsocial.

As I continued shaving and reminiscing, I randomly recalled a time when I was brushing my teeth in the bathroom (we had just one for our entire floor), and another guy was shaving. Our softspoken RA, James (a 6'6", 320-pound mountain of a man) emerged from the shower (in his robe, thankfully) and commented to my sink neighbor, "Always shave up and down. Never side to side."

The shaver, who happened to be the Elders Quorum President and probably the nicest guy I've ever met, looked confused for a minute, but finally managed to say, "Good advice." James left the bathroom. The awkwardness was over.

Oh, that shaver's name? Dave Matthews! Kind of weird that I remembered this random story now, but was unable to remember my friend Dave when I wrote this post last year.

1 comment:

angelalois said...

Go Dave! He was the nicest guy ever! He went to the same mission my brother ended up going to. Ahhh gotta love the freshman dorms.