Saturday, June 6, 2009

Now That's What I Call '80s and '90s Vol. 3

#450-426

450. "Streets of Philadelphia," Bruce Springsteen (1993)
449. "Kiss Me Deadly," Lita Ford (1988)
448. "All 4 Love," Color Me Badd (1991)
Words spelled with numbers, typos in the band name...what a grammatical nightmare!
447. "Two Steps Behind," Def Leppard (1993)
446. "P.Y.T.," Michael Jackson (1983)
Finally, a song I actually like. One of the King of Pop's best.
445. "Faithful," Go West (1992)
Wait...was Go West actually a two-hit wonder? This is their only song I know.
444. "I Heard A Rumor," Bananarama (1987)
If the rumor you're referring to is that Keren of Bananarama married Andrew Ridgeley (the other guy in Wham!), it's actually true!
443. "More Than Words Can Say," Alias (1990)
Not to be confused with Extreme's "More Than Words." Way to get creative with your lyrics, hair bands!
442. "Ain't Nobody," Chaka Khan (1983)
441. "The Living Years," Mike & the Mechanics (1989)
440. "Un-break My Heart," Toni Braxton (1996)
Heard Toni sing live when I went to the "Dancing With the Stars" tour. I don't think any young Dallas Mavericks superstars would be fighting over her now.
439. "Modern Love," David Bowie (1983)
The song that turned me into a Bowie fan. It's awesome.
438. "Crush On You," The Jets (1986)
I wonder what happened to The Jets? I also wonder where they would've ranked if my old roommate Will and I had ever followed through with our goal of creating a series on the "Top 500 Mormon Pop Culture Icons."
437. "Eyes Without A Face," Billy Idol (1984)
436. "Joyride," Roxette (1991)
Why do I love Roxette and ABBA so much, yet don't care for their fellow Swedes Ace of Base? Hmmm.
435. "Oh Sheila," Ready For the World (1985)
434. "One Week," Barenaked Ladies (1998)
Make note of your favorite line from this song in the comments. Mine is probably the one about Chinese chicken.
433. "Always Be My Baby," Mariah Carey (1996)
432. "Head Over Feet," Alanis Morissette (1996)
A surprisingly calm and sweet song that would've fit in more with the stuff she's done this decade, which I actually like much more than her angry stuff.
431. "Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough," Patty Smyth/Don Henley (1992)
430. "What You Need," INXS (1986)
429. "Again," Janet Jackson (1993)
Not the same song as "Together Again." This one is not nearly as good to dance to.
428. "Somebody," Bryan Adams (1985)
427. "Open Your Heart," Madonna (1987)
426. "Downtown Train," Rod Stewart (1989)

Back with more next week! (And I may blog about something else in between, but no guarantees.)

6 comments:

Janelle said...

448, 440, 434, 433, 432, 429. Not as many favorites this time around. Actually there are a lot on this section of the list that don't even sound familiar to me at all.

My favorite line in the BNL song is "Trying hard not to smile though I feel bad/Im the kind of guy who laughs at a funeral/Cant understand what I mean? you soon will" because it reminds me of my husband. He tells jokes to lighten heavy moods.

Aaron said...

Are there 500 Mormon pop culture icons? I can only think of a few, many of whom became Mormon after their most popular periods: Gladys Knight, Ricky Schroeder, Bachman or Turner (I forget which one's the Mormon), Glen Larson (creator of Battlestar Gallactica and Knight Rider), Ray Combs... I'm sure I'm forgetting some obvious ones, but the list is pretty short.

jeff said...

It was Bachman.

I'm sure you could get to 500 (even easier now, since we started formulating this plan in 2003, before David Archuleta, Stephanie Meyer, and others), but you'd probably have to include people like Truman Madsen, Hugh Nibley, and Porter Rockwell.

angelalois said...

Ooooh a lotta good ones in this one. I LOVE Roxette and I love that Mariah Carey song. AND I listened to One Week just for purposes of this, and my favorite line is: "Watching X Files with no lights on, we're dans la maison." It's French. I love it.

David M said...

"...I hope the smoking man's in this one."

shabba shabba said...

Madonna is the greatest. Or, was, until about 1992. Then was again in 1997. Then stopped forever. I don't care what anyone says. I heart Madonna.