Wednesday, June 17, 2009

There can be only one wiener

Yesterday I undertook what I'm sure will be my final "cram" session before Saturday's dog devouring.

The meal: six hot dogs (once again, "jumbo" franks) and buns. The time: 5 minutes, 42 seconds. Once again, substantial improvement over the previous practice round. I now feel confident that I can eat ten dogs in ten minutes. That's the goal I've set for myself. It won't be good enough to win, but it seems like a respectable number (according to this page, some competitors in the big July 4 contest last year were as low as 14).

I will be certain to give a full report of the masticating mayhem afterwards. I'd like to include pictures, but that means someone else will need to be there with me. If you'd like to be the videographer for my competitive eating debut, or you just want to see me gorge myself in a different borough for a change, here's the pertinent info.

Date: Saturday, June 20
Time: 3:00 PM
Place: Citi Field (the Mets' new stadium in Queens; the contest will take place outside the stadium between the Jackie Robinson Rotunda (the main entrance) and the train station)
To get there, catch the 7 train from Times Square; Citi Field is the penultimate stop on that line. It will probably take a little over an hour to get there from Harlem/Washington Heights/Inwood.

And why wouldn't you want to come? There's few things that make for more fascinating theater and spectacle than this, right?

No comments: