Monday, June 29, 2009

The Jackson 6

Before I get to the sixth installment of the countdown, this seems like a good place to say a few things about Michael Jackson.

I would never say I was a big MJ fan (my earliest memory of him is getting a nose bleed during Captain Eo and having to leave the theater), but that's mainly because I'm more into sports and TV than music. I feel it's not an exaggeration to say he's the most talented entertainer of my lifetime. Sadly, Jackson became nothing more than a punchline since he married Lisa Marie Presley about 15 years ago, but his early career was so good and so prolific that it stacks up well when compared to Elvis or Madonna or U2 or any other pop icon.

Michael's songs are so catchy and so ubiquitous that he's always among the first artists I think of when I want to do a new song parody. I used "Heal the World" and "Beat It" in the ripoff of West Side Story I made for an FHE film festival, and I'm now dusting off a never-finished "Bad" parody as part of my dad's Father's Day present.

His Simpsons appearance was legendary, and was made before it was really trendy for big stars to appear on the show. I've modified his birthday song for Lisa many times when singing to my friends.

As I've mentioned, I don't really listen to music casually, but I enjoy dances. And nobody made better dance music than Michael Jackson. You literally can't help wanting to groove when his songs come on.

Since I'm more into the visual than the aural, it's not a surprise that I like Michael Jackson. He's the king of the music video. He turned average-length songs into epic mini-movies. He got Vincent Price, Marlon Brando, Macauley Culkin, Magic Johnson, Eddie Murphy, and many more to join him on screen. Beyonce could make 20 videos like "Single Ladies," and she still wouldn't have as many people copying her dance moves as there are people who try to teach themselves the "Thriller" routine. He revolutionized the music video medium, and I respect and thank him for that at least as much as I do for his music library.

It's sad to see you go, Michael, but thanks for the memories.

Let's continue the rundown of the residents of MJ's Kingdom of Pop.

#375-351

375. "Linger," Cranberries (1993)
374. "Take On Me," A-Ha (1985)
They have one of the better "literal" videos that have been springing up lately. But certainly not the best.
373. "I'll Never Get Over You (Getting Over Me)," Expose (1993)
372. "Ants Marching," Dave Matthews Band (1995)
371. "I Don't Want To Fight," Tina Turner (1993)
370. "Rock Me Amadeus," Falco (1986)
369. "The One," Elton John (1992)
368. "Always Something There To Remind Me," Naked Eyes (1983)
367. "Missing," Everything But The Girl (1996)
366. "(I Just) Died In Your Arms," Cutting Crew (1987)
Will Ferrell and Horatio Sanz did a memorable cover of this song on SNL once. Alas, it doesn't appear to be online.
365. "Hole Hearted," Extreme (1991)
364. "Roll With It," Steve Winwood (1988)
363. "That's The Way Love Goes," Janet Jackson (1993)
362. "De Do Do Do De Da Da Da," The Police (1980)
There was a good joke on Conan last week about Lady Gaga and the Goo Goo Dolls forming the supergroup Gaga Goo Goo. If it ever happens, this should be their first single.
361. "Borderline," Madonna (1983)
360. "Lullaby," Shawn Mullins (1998)
359. "Angel," Sarah McLachlan (1998)
358. "Red Red Wine," UB40 (1984, 1988)
357. "When It's Love," Van Halen (1988)
356. "Church Of The Poison Mind," Culture Club (1983)
355. "I Wonder Why," Curtis Stigers (1991)
354. "Notorious," Duran Duran (1986)
353. "Opposites Attract," Paula Abdul (1990)
Who had a quicker fall from the spotlight--MC Skat Kat or Brian Dunkleman?
352. "Shout," Tears For Fears (1985)
351. "Dangerous," Roxette (1990)

I'm hoping to have more and better commentary next week.

3 comments:

Kristina said...

This list is interesting. I'm surprised at some of the placements! I'll be honest, I didn't read any of it till today. It seemed like too much... but it's actually quick reading. And very entertaining.
...
I'm not sure if entertaining is the right word.
Are you typing ALL of these up? You need a job.

Larissa said...

I'm dying for a full report of the hot dog contest - I check back every day....nothing....

Janelle said...

I'm just now getting around to reading this one, because I've been out of town and not paying attention to blogs very much. Thanks for all the Michael links!

Okay, songs I like from this installment: 375, 367, and 359.

Don't worry about having not much or not great commentary...not much to work with this week.

Okay, off to read the next one, since it's already been posted.