Thursday, June 18, 2009

New York: The Vampire State

It rained pretty much all day today. Unfortunately, I was out in the soup for a while. I was supposed to meet someone in Union Square to sell them a phone; they were running late, and I kindly agreed to wait for them.

To pass the time, I browsed in the Strand Bookstore. It was extremely cluttered and claustrophobic as usual, but quiet. Nothing to indicate that apparently, just an hour or two earlier, some pretty crazy stuff went down.

It's nice that, now that TRL is gone, local teen girls still have outlets for their unbridled, media-created enthusiasm. I'm also glad that the film crew had packed up and left by the time I got there, helping me avoid potential tramplings by crazed fans or, worse yet, having to wait at a less interesting place like Whole Foods or Shoe Mania.

It seems like Cedric Diggory wasn't seriously hurt, so I feel ok making jokes about this. If he had actually been hit hard, I wonder if any of the starstruck girls would've said, "Don't worry. He'll be fine. He's a vampire! He's immortal!" Thank goodness it was a taxi and not a garlic truck.

By the way...I have been successful so far in my efforts to avoid reading the Twilight books or seeing the movies. I have nothing against them, I just don't think I would like them--but if I read one book I would probably read all of them. It's my nature. A few years ago I watched every episode of The Search For The Next Doll, for crying out loud. It's best if I just stay away.

So Mr. Pattinson, I'm glad you're all right. And if you shoot any scenes for your movie across the street from Strand at Max Brenner, there will probably be at least one 29-year-old guy mixed in amongst all the tweens.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

For a minute I thought you'd written "A few years ago I watched every episode of The Search For The Next Doll, crying out loud." as though you'd been really moved by the experience.

I briefly felt better for crying during reality shows then realized....nope, nope, I'm still alone in my weirdness :D

Kristina said...

Couldn't access the link, but now you're making me crave Max Brennar... I insisted on getting hot chocolate, even in the middle of New York's steamy summer.
PS--the Sobaya across the street from there is amazing. If you like noodles, asian food, and soup. It's authentic.

Kate said...

I also thought you were admitting to crying while watching reality tv. I have, many times, and probably will again.

But if you have some free time on your hands and want to go stalk RPatz with me, I think it would be pretty awesome to get a glimpse of him while he's in town. I happen to know which hotel he's staying at even, so our search might be a little easier.