Friday, October 2, 2009

Cookie Sheet

National Cookie Month began yesterday. Since I eat so many cookies all year long, I don't plan to do any extra cookie-related celebrating in October (except for on the 20th, my half-birthday, when I anticipate a pizza-pan-sized chocolate chip cookie from my mom--that's our tradition; and, I suppose, this blog post). I even missed out on free cookie day at Mrs. Fields yesterday, which is about twice the monetary value as free cookie day would've been back when I worked there in 1996 (since then, brownie prices at Mrs. Fields are virtually unchanged, but cookies cost less than a buck when I was in high school).

I really, really love cookies. Like pizza, even the worst cookies are generally still very edible. Nilla Wafers, fortune cookies, the really cheap store brand, Teddy Grahams, Nutter Butters, the burnt leftovers from a homemade batch...these might not be my top choices, but if that's what's available I'll gladly eat them. But I definitely have my favorites, which I will break down by source. I'm sure some good ones will be omitted, either through forgetfulness or my ignorance; please enlighten me in the comments.

HOMEMADE

I've tried many delicious cookies made from home recipes, but none will ever top my mom's chocolate chip. They come out perfect every time, and the dough is also phenomenal. My mother is a wizard in the kitchen, but she specializes in baked goods. Her manhole covers, chocolate crinkles, peanut butter, oatmeal raisin, or even the butter brickle batch she baked this morning are all tremendous, but the classic chocolate chip will always hold the top spot.

FUNDRAISER

Although it's kind of pricey, that frozen dough elementary school kids sell usually makes pretty good cookies. But this category exists mainly as a tribute to Girl Scout Cookies. The Thin Mints are fine, but what I really want is about nine boxes of Samoas, and three or four Tagalongs. You go, Girls!

RESTAURANT/BAKERY
Cookies from a bakery are usually high quality (at least if they were made that day), even if they're semi-mass produced. I really like the cookies from Albertson's bakery, for example. Pinnacle, the deli/a la carte place I frequented while working at Columbia, had excellent cookies.

ESPNZone makes an amazing cookie dessert (right, Larissa?) that's more filling than most entrees. I'm surprised I can't think of more restaurant cookie concoctions right now; I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting.

A return visit to Smart Cookie in Provo is long overdue. You can't do better for the money than buying a J-Dawg, then walking next door to SC and buying delicious cookies for a quarter each. Or, even better, getting an ice cream cookie sandwich.

And, of course, there's Mrs. Fields. My first job was not quite as great as I thought it might be (leftovers at the end of the day are given to charity, not employees), but it was still pretty sweet. Or semisweet. Or white chocolate macadamia. Or cinnamon sugar. Or my very favorite, chewy fudge. Mmmm....chewy fudge...

I still remember being the most popular guy at Fashion Place Mall when I'd wander out with the sample tray. Of course, when there was only one piece left on the tray, I had to eat it, because I would feel bad if two people walked by and I didn't have enough for everyone.

STORE-BOUGHT

Of course your fancy brands like Milanos and Soft Batch are great, but I usually go with what's on sale. My preferred cheaper cookie is Chunky Chips Ahoy!, followed by the chocolate lovers variety (in cookies, the more chocolate, the better) of Keebler's Chips Deluxe. The more convenient packaging isn't the only thing that gives Nabisco the nod over Keebler, but it's definitely a factor. A new soft baked chunky Chips Ahoy! came out a few years ago and quickly became my favorite, but for some reason the recipe changed within a few months and it's not as good now.

With as many cookies as I eat, though, it shouldn't come as a surprise that I'll often switch things up, buying a different variety of those brands, or Oreos, or Mother's circus animals, or the bite-size Otis Spunkmeyer, or whatever.

CEREAL

Last but not least...what better way to start your day than with a bowl full of cookies? Keebler recently unveiled a new entry, and it's delicious. Or at least I think it is, but apparently not many agree: it seems to have already disappeared from supermarket shelves.

After all these years, Cookie Crisp is still a solid breakfast option. The new double chocolate variety, however, is not as good, which I guess is the exception that proves my more-is-better chocolate rule. Well, that, and the time I poured chocolate milk on Cocoa Puffs.

That's all I can think of right now for types of cookies I eat, but while we're on the subject of Cookie Crisp, there's one more cookie category that needs to be discussed: mascots. All of the best cookie mascots of my childhood are gone or altered.

The Cookie Cop and the Cookie Crook were great spokesmen for Cookie Crisp. Later, they added Chip the Dog as the Crook's henchman, and that was fine. But then someone decided to eliminate the Cop and Crook, keeping only the dog. And now they have a different dog, one that's much more wolf-like. What gives?

And don't get me started on the ultimate cookie character, Cookie Monster. He used to be my role model, with a diet consisting entirely of cookies. But now they've got him promoting healthy eating and saying cookies are only a "sometimes" food.

Back in my day, the only time they even hinted about Cookie Monster eating a healthy diet was suggesting that cookies grow on trees.

There, I'm off my soapbox. I haven't needed it much since I grew tall enough to reach the cookie jar on my own. I think I'll go get one now.

9 comments:

Megan said...

I really want some cookies now. I would say that my old roommate Karen's cookies are the best, especially when baked in an "M" shape for Megan Appreciation Day (Feb 15, for those of you keeping track at home).

And, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Smart Cookie in Provo is no more. I about cried when I discovered this travesty. We still have one in American Fork and they apparently just opened one up in Ft. Union. But gone are the celestial lunches of J-Dawgs and Smart Cookie.

A moment of silence, please.

Nicole said...

I remember when you worked at Mrs. Fields. I'd take samples from you and chatted at the counter, but never actually bought anything. Then a guy bought me a big cookie (to console me when my missionary left for the MTC and try to win me over) and I was hooked. I consumed many Mrs Fields cookies in 2008, as the location at the Detroit was right next to gate A8 (always the gate for the 7:20 to LAX).

My favorite cookies are oatmeal butterscotch chip, chocolate no-bake cookies, homemade oreos, and the frosted sugar cookies from Flour Girls and Dough Boys.

Lady Holiday said...

Yay for cookies! You'll notice on facebook that Becca Shim says I am the greatest thing ever invented, and that is because I mailed her a box of homemade chocolate chip cookies. Behold, the power of cookies.

angelalois said...

Oh Jeff. Do I have a cookie for you. You need to visit San Fran or Seattle (or some other misc CA towns) and find a place called Specialty's. three words: QUARTER-POUND cookies. To. Die. For.

M. McCune said...

Speaking of cookie crisp, there is a new kind out that David's mom has been buying, Sprinkles Cookie Crisp. I don't prefer it, but thought you might like to try it and see what you think. It's a white, vanilla cookie flavor with sprinkles.

Mint Oreos will always be my number one favorite store bought cookie. So good.

Albertsons does make a good cookie and now I really want Jdawgs and a Smart Cookie!

Thoroughly Modern Millie said...

I love that you dedicated a whole post to cookies. I love cookies, especially homemade chocolate chip ones. What are manhole covers? This post has definitely motivated me to go hunt through the cupboards to see if we have any cookies,

Larissa said...

Jeff! Shout out to ME! WAHOOO! Appropriately in the cookie post, might I add. I just made a double-batch of chocolate chip yesterday - and they are sitting next to me on my desk at work, joyously being munched by all the passers-by. Smart cookie in Fort Union is every bit as delicious as that formerly of Provo and right by the theater! It is a little more pricey, but right now they have buy-1-get-1 free on their ice cream cookies, so go have at it! I promote that place to my friends like crazy. Love the post, love the man, love the cookie:-)

jeff said...

Smart Cookie is closed?! Oh, recession, how you continue to torture me!

Manhole covers are oatmeal-chocolate chip-and-sometimes-other-stuff cookies my mom makes, so named because of how flat they end up after baking.

Any of you are welcome to send me samples of the cookies you make/like, and I just may give them a thorough review here on the old blog.

Lady Holiday said...

Hmmm... What's your address?