Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fort Een

I know that some (if not most) of my blog's readers find these lists boring and a waste of time. But I'm going to keep doing them, for a number of reasons:

1) It helps me stay in a mode of consistently posting on here.

2) The printout of the list I have is falling apart, and this is one way to preserve it forever.

3) On my blog, I write about stuff that I like, stuff that interests me. Most of my stuff has some kind of general appeal, but not all of it, I suppose.

4) If you'd actually read these posts, I think you'd see that there's at least one funny or witty joke and one weird or funny link in each one.

5) I don't want to stop now, and end up like Michael Corbin in If Looks Could Kill (he never followed through!).

6) As I've just been demonstrating, I'm a big fan of lists.

On to installment 14 of 20!


#175-151


175. "Wild Night," John Mellencamp (1994)
174. "Head To Toe," Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam (1987)
173. "Free Falling," Tom Petty (1990)
It's Tom's birthday today!
172. "All That She Wants," Ace of Base (1993)
I remember hearing my sister sing this song before I had ever heard it on the radio. I assumed she had misheard the lyrics. Nope--it's really "all that she wants is another baby." It's Octomom's theme song.
171. "Every Rose Has Its Thorn," Poison (1988)
While at BYU, I went to many women's basketball games, especially when All-American Erin Thorn was on the team. One of the other starters was Chanell Rose, and me and my fan crew (which included blog reader Angela) planned from early in the season to sing this song loudly if the two ever combined for a basket. Our chance finally came in a game against Wyoming. Thorn assisted on a Rose field goal, and we all started singing. All of us spontaneously changed "cowboy" to "cowgirl" (that's the nickname for women's teams at Wyoming) when we got to the sad, sad song part of the chorus. It was awesome. After we finished high-fiving each other, we went back to heckling Cowgirl forward Kristy Bacon, whom we called "Crispy."
170. "Girl You Know It's True," Milli Vanilli (1989)
169. "Push," Matchbox Twenty (1996)
168. "When I Think Of You," Janet Jackson (1986)
167. "The Heart Of The Matter," Don Henley (1990)
166. "Venus," Bananarama (1986)
I'm very surprised that this song was ranked higher than "Cruel Summer."
165. "Separate Ways," Journey (1983)
I know I've linked to this music video at least once before, probably multiple times. But I'm doing it again, because it's so great. Almost as good is this shot-for-shot remake by some BYU-Idaho students. Which shows that typing up lists of songs every week isn't the biggest music-related time waster I could be involved in.
164. "Stay," Lisa Loeb (1994)
Do you think Lisa Loeb gets angry whenever she sees Tina Fey on TV? Loeb was the cute, quirky girl with classes long before Fey made it cool. In high school, Tina Fey probably dressed as Lisa Loeb for Halloween!
163. "I've Been Thinking About You," Londonbeat (1991)
162. "What I Like About You," Romantics (1980)
Our second straight week with a song that is better than a sitcom it shares a title with. Although Jennie Garth and Amanda Bynes are much more pleasant to look at than Wally Palmar and Mike Skill.
161. "I Will Remember You," Sarah McLachlan (1999)
160. "Mambo #5," Lou Bega (1999)
A little bit of Angela, Pamela, Sandra, Rita, Monica, Erica, Tina, Mary and Jessica...all in the same song!
159. "Hands To Heaven," Breathe (1988)
One of the only entries of the entire 500 where I didn't recognize the song title or the artist. But after finding the video, it's definitely one that I know.
158. "You Keep Me Hangin' On," Kim Wilde (1987)
157. "Fly Away," Lenny Kravitz (1999)
156. "Listen To Your Heart," Roxette (1989)
155. "You Give Love A Bad Name," Bon Jovi (1986)
154. "It's All Coming Back To Me Now," Celine Dion (1996)
153. "A Little Respect," Erasure (1989)
152. "I'd Do Anything For Love," Meat Loaf (1993)
Dr. Pepper made a great commercial using this song. But this is a better commercial using Meat Loaf.
151. "Wild Wild West," Escape Club (1988)
When the first single from U2's new album was released earlier this year, parts of it reminded me of this Escape Club song. Which I guess is a compliment, but a very mild one.

6 comments:

Jill said...

Hahahaha no more feedback from me, I promise!!

Nicole said...

Haha...we put "Hands to Heaven" on our wedding video ;)

jeff said...

Please continue to give feedback...this blog is for my ego more than anything else, but as a performance-piece of sorts, and I want to a) know that I have an audience and b) do my best to please that audience and keep them coming back.

I like "Hands to Heaven"...I just didn't recognize it by its title or singer.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
angelalois said...

woot woot! i got a shout out! in fact, did you notice you used my name TWICE in that post? yeah.

Janelle said...

I have a picture somewhere of Tiffany (I can't for the life of me remember her last name, but she was Emmy's roommate) with her hair done up wearing glasses and looking "just so" -- a lot like Lisa Loeb.