Monday, November 9, 2009

17 again

We've reached the top 100 songs! The end is in sight! Feel free to leave comments guessing songs that you think belong in the top 10.

#100-76

100. “Better Man,” Pearl Jam (1994)
99. “Look Away,” Chicago (1988)
98. “Bitch,” Meredith Brooks (1997)
Sorry about the crude language. I'll be sure to give advance warning if it happens again. (And since we haven't seen Jimmy Buffet's "Let's All Get Drunk And Screw" on the list yet, I'd say the chances are pretty good.)
97. “The Flame,” Cheap Trick (1988)
96. “Life Is A Highway,” Tom Cochrane (1992)
Why did Pixar have to use Rascal Flatts' cover of this song for Cars? Mr. Cochrane's original is at least as good, and I'm sure he wasn't busy.
95. “Superfreak,” Rick James (1981)
94. “Come To My Window,” Melissa Etheridge (1994)
93. “Kiss,” Prince (1986)
"You don't have to watch Dynasty, to have an attitude" is one of the best song lyrics of all time. And it also reminds me of a funny story I heard a few months ago that supposedly took place at a New York DMV (I heard it fourth hand, so I can't verify if it actually happened): a friend of a friend of a friend was waiting to get her license, when she heard over the intercom, "Shady Nasty, your license is ready." Nobody came up. Again, "Shady Nasty, your license is ready." No response. After the third page, a woman goes up to the counter, and angrily says, "I know you didn't just call me Shady Nasty. It's Sha-Dynasty!"
92. “With Or Without You,” U2 (1987)
91. “More Than Words,” Extreme (1991)
90. “I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me),” Whitney Houston (1987)
89. “Please Forgive Me,” Bryan Adams (1993)
88. “The Way You Make Me Feel,” Michael Jackson (1988)
87. “Never Surrender,” Corey Hart (1985)
86. “Real World,” Matchbox Twenty (1998)
85. “Toy Soldiers,” Martika (1989)
Like T'Pau's "Heart and Soul" last week, this is one of my favorite, largely underrated songs of the '80s.
84. “All For You,” Sister Hazel (1997)
83. “Love Of A Lifetime,” Firehouse (1991)
82. “Walk Like An Egyptian,” Bangles (1987)
81. “Name,” Goo Goo Dolls (1995)
80. “Like A Prayer,” Madonna (1989)
79. “Melt With You,” Modern English (1983)
My former roommate Will likes to replace the term "making love" with the euphemism "painting ducks." As in, "painting ducks with you was never second best."
78. “Believe,” Cher (1999)
77. “In The Air Tonight,” Phil Collins (1981)
The legend of this song is akin to the whole "is Steve Martin a Mormon?" debate. If you're not aware of what I'm referring to, check this out. To know for sure, I guess we'll have to wait until, as my sister likes to say, we watch the video in heaven.
76. “Kiss From A Rose,” Seal (1995)
There are probably at least six songs on the Batman Forever soundtrack better than this one, including what is likely my favorite U2 song. But kudos to Seal on wooing Heidi Klum.

8 comments:

Kristina said...

I thought "With or Without You" should be higher. I think it's one of the best songs of all time.
And I love "Kiss From A Rose." Takes me back to the good ol days of '95...

Janelle said...

Finally, some songs that feel like they deserve to be this high on the list!

I'm totally with you on "Life is a Highway" -- I love the original.

I have two guesses for the top 10. "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson, and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana.

M. McCune said...

What are we counting down again? JK, love the count down.
What makes me the most sad is that you don't care about what I have to say. Shoot.

Lady Holiday said...

I thought it was really sad at my ward Halloween party when a kid came dressed up as a Biblical person, possibly ancient Egyptian, and a grownup was like, "Hey, walk like an Egyptian! Da da da da da..." and did the moves, and the kid just stared at him like he was crazy, with no idea what the guy was talking about. The radios just don't play the good stuff anymore.

jeff said...

Is that a joke, Marlene? Or did I inadvertently do or write something that makes it seem like I don't care? I don't want to be like Nigel was on last night's SYTYCD results. Did you see it? He was SO pompous.

M. McCune said...

Yes he was so pompous! What up with that!?

No, no, I was joking because you don't have a link to my blog in your "I care about what these people have to say" section. Just a bad joke. Sorry. You know I love ya! Did you see the funny comment in my IHOP Adventures post?

jeff said...

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to update that for a while; Google Reader has caused me to virtually ignore that part of my blog.

At least she was nice and respectful about her destined-to-fail cause. I mean, they're really good pancakes! I love it when strangers comment on my blog.

By the way Janelle, Nirvana is a little too "hard" for the pop station that created the list, but "Billie Jean" is a good guess.

M. McCune said...

I too was glad to hear from Emily, my random blog commenter. It is fun to get weird comments from people you don't know, as long as they are nice. I got a few back when I was posting about my trip to Europe. So funny. Seriously Jeff, have you tired the eggnog pancakes yet? So good.