Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Hey 19

So close to the end! Only the best of the best of the best songs remain...in theory. You still have a little more time to guess the songs that you think earned the top spots on the list.

#50-26

50. “I’ll Be There For You,” Rembrandts (1995)
It hasn't been the Rembrandts' day, week, month, or year for a long, long time. Unless you count residuals from syndicated Friends reruns.
49. “Total Eclipse Of The Heart,” Bonnie Tyler (1984)
I've linked to this before, but I'll do it again: one of the best songs ever, made even better with a literal music video.
48. “Cryin’,” Aerosmith (1993)
47. “Jack & Diane,” John Mellencamp (1982)
The ultimate song about being young in the Midwest. Right, Jill? Does John Cougar come from the Midwest? And maybe Utah isn't a midwestern state, because here we eat our chili dogs, rather than sucking on them.
46. “Straight Up,” Paula Abdul (1988)
45. “Every Morning,” Sugar Ray (1999)
44. “I Love Rock N Roll,” Joan Jett & the Blackhearts (1982)
43. “Vogue,” Madonna (1990)
42. “I’ll Be There For You,” Bon Jovi (1989)
41. “Waterfalls,” TLC (1995)
40. “Faith,” George Michael (1987)
My friend Collin is a talented animator and filmmaker; he used this song in a fun birthday present to himself.
39. “Like The Way I Do,” Melissa Etheridge (1988, 1995)
38. “You’re Still The One,” Shania Twain (1998)
37. “Pour Some Sugar On Me,” Def Leppard (1987)
36. “Miss You Much,” Janet Jackson (1989)
35. “Truly Madly Deeply,” Savage Garden (1998)
The best musical tribute to Cherry Cola ever made. That I know of.
34. “Here I Go Again,” Whitesnake (1987)
One of the few metal songs to make the list, and I bet it's all because of Tawny Kitaen. This song--the finale of the opening act--is also the highlight of "Rock of Ages," which I saw not long after mildly ripping on Constantine in this space. He was definitely the standout in a pretty mediocre show.
33. “When Doves Cry,” Prince (1984)
32. “Only Wanna Be With You,” Hootie & the Blowfish (1995)
31. “My Heart Will Go On,” Celine Dion (1998)
30. “Billie Jean,” Michael Jackson (1983)
Not quite top 10, but good guess, Janelle.
29. “Losing My Religion,” R.E.M. (1991)
28. “Slide,” Goo Goo Dolls (1999)
27. “Like A Virgin,” Madonna (1984)
26. “Centerfold,” J. Geils Band (1982)
Yet another of my karaoke favorites.

6 comments:

shabba shabba said...

Dude, "Slide" by Goo Goo Dolls? I can't remember, did we see "Name" on this list? Because "Slide" licks and "Name" is only marginally better.

And what's up with "Pour Some Sugar on Me" only being in the 30s? I just listened to that song the other day, while reading an article on feminism, and I thought "Oh wow, feminists must really hate Def Leppard, because, to Def Leppard, females are merely objects." And that may not be the right way to think, but it sure made for an awesome, awesome song.

Do you like how I incredulously ask you how "song x" could possibly have been ranked so high or so low, as if it's your fault? I like that too.

Lady Holiday said...

I love Constantine.

Janelle said...

Cherry Cola isn't in Truly Madly Deeply. It's in I Want You, also by Savage Garden.

But hey look -- I made it into your post! At least Billie Jean is higher than the stupid Titanic song that doesn't even deserve to be on the list at all.

Jill said...

Don't be bitter about my superior grasp of geography.

David M said...

I approve of most of the songs in this post, although some of them I wouldn't put quite so high. The J Geils Band, however, doesn't belong anywhere near this list.

angelalois said...

Go Janelle for pointing out the Savage Garden snafu. Also, I'm surprised you didn't say anything how there were TWO "I'll Be There For You" songs in this same list. What are the chances of that? Bon Jovi and the Rembrandt's and everyone else who uses that song name should be more creative.