Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Match made in heaven

One of the things I do to make some money while I continue to search for a real job is selling recycled cell phones. (Yes, I'm still drastically underemployed. Turns out my original strategy--hanging around the giant keyboard at FAO Schwartz and hoping to endear myself to a wealthy benefactor--was not a sound one.)

A lot of people lose their phones, or break them, or have them stolen, so there's a need for this service. I've even had a repeat customer. I delivered a phone to a woman who works at Forbes Magazine at their fancy Fifth Avenue office. Less than a week later, she called me again because her new phone had already been stolen. Which sucks for her, but is good for business.

It took her a while to come down and meet me in the lobby the second time, and when she finally emerged she apologized for keeping me waiting. To make it up to me, she brought me something.

"Matches from the yacht," she said.

Since the box of fire sticks said "Highlander" on it, I'm assuming when she said "the yacht" she meant this one. I had always thought there can only be one Highlander, but I guess I was wrong. Sadly, it looks like the 16 pounds of caviar (scroll down on that fun facts page) won't be consumed this season.

It turns out the rich really know how to live--these are by far the best matches I've ever used. They light on the first strike, every time. I highly recommend getting some, if you can. And since the yacht has been docked for the year, they should have some extras lying around. Make sure you check the right place; I figure they use burning $100 bills to light their cigars, but they keep matches around for the same reasons as us poor people.

1 comment:

Lady Holiday said...

Are you on the g-force or g-squad or whatever g-chameleon calls it?