Monday, May 25, 2009

A memorial decades in the making

Several of my recent posts have featured my first stint in New York, as an intern in the spring of 2003, or what I consider "classic" music. This one will combine the two.

Back in '03, the NY radio station I set my alarm to ran a "Top 500 Songs of the '80s and '90s" countdown over Memorial Day weekend (I'm pretty sure I've referenced this list on my blog before). We're now far enough removed from the era that perhaps the songs from the late '90s can be judged properly (seriously, how could you know where to rank a song on a list like this when it was less than five years old?). So, on Memorial Day 2009, it seems like a good time to revisit the rankings.

It doesn't appear that the list still exists online, but fortunately I printed out a copy back in the day. I'm going to break it up into 25-song segments, and post one each week (including funny video links and my commentary, of course) until we reach the top spot. Let the nostalgia commence!

#500-#476

500. "Lay Your Hands On Me," Bon Jovi (1989)
Good thing I didn't use this one in my last post; that would've been overkill.
499. "My Favorite Mistake," Sheryl Crow (1999)
As we go through the list, make sure to leave comments about your favorite mistakes, whether they be ranked way too high or way too low.
498. "Get Outta My Dreams (Get Into My Car)," Billy Ocean (1988)
If any of my blog readers were basketball fans, I'd point out how much Billy looks like Michael Finley. Instead, I'll merely note that I love the late-'80s live-action-meets-animation craze.
497. "867-5309/Jenny," Tommy Tutone (1982)
Whenever I've chosen my own ATM pin number, I've gone with 5309. (But I didn't choose my current one, so please don't steal my wallet.)
496. "Just A Girl," No Doubt (1996)
A good song, but I like this Gwen Stefani song and video much better.
495. "We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off," Jermaine Stewart (1986)
I love song titles that sound like they're made up.
494. "Talking In Your Sleep," The Romantics (1984)
I guess (gasp!) I won't have something to say about every song.
493. "Causing A Commotion," Madonna (1987)
492. "Whip It," Devo (1980)
The original video is fun and iconic, but this cover is so much better.
491. "Everything Falls Apart," Dog's Eye View (1996)
You haven't thought of this song since 1997, have you?
490. "I'm Your Baby Tonight," Whitney Houston (1990)
489. "This Time," Bryan Adams (1983)
488. "She Blinded Me With Science," Thomas Dolby (1985)
Dolby seems to like videos featuring psychiatric sessions--it's the theme of "She Blinded Me" as well as this one, my favorite of his songs.
487. "Cold Hearted," Paula Abdul (1989)
Not the one with Keanu in the video. Darn.
486. "Heartbreaker," Pat Benatar (1980)
485. "U Got The Look," Prince/Sheena Easton (1987)
484. "Faithfully," Journey (1983)
483. "Emotions," Mariah Carey (1991)
482. "Wrapped Around Your Finger," The Police (1984)
481. "I Want You," Savage Garden (1997)
Yes, this is the "chica cherry cola" song.
480. "Sexual Healing," Marvin Gaye (1983)
479. "I Want To Come Over," Melissa Etheridge (1995)
478. "I Need To Know," Marc Anthony (1999)
This song brings back memories of my BYU social dance classes. Where have you gone, Kelli Towers?
477. "Naughty Naughty," John Parr (1984)
476. "Dress You Up," Madonna (1985)
Madonna already has two appearances. As we go through this list, we'll probably see that, just like in real life, Madge won't go away.

The countdown continues next week!

1 comment:

shabba shabba said...

I don't remember why I gave you a ride in my 1990 Toyota pickup from Provo to Murray in 2004, but I did. We discussed this list at some length, and to this day I'm still disappointed by the number one song.

Now that I think of it, I think we've had this conversation in the comments section of your blog before.

Sorry. I'm unoriginal. What can I say.