Friday, May 22, 2009

Song titles

I was at a friend's apartment recently and saw a new compilation CD she had purchased. I looked at the back, and noted that I had heard of less than half of the participating artists (and have only actually heard any songs from about half of that half). This wasn't too surprising; I'm not much of a fan of this decade's music offerings (although I heard a band named Phoenix on SNL a few weeks ago, and really liked this song).

To overcompensate for my lack of interest in and knowledge of modern music, here's an adaptation of a note I posted on my Facebook profile this week. I got the idea from my friend Amy, but I'm not sure where she found it. She did it just once, using The Beatles, but I came up with three sets of answers--the first using my favorite band from high school, the second and third using the bands I would most like to see in concert right now (even though they're both past their prime). I'll also add some links for some of the better/more obscure songs used below, which weren't included in the Facebook version.

Using only song names from ONE ARTIST, answer these questions.

I picked: QUEEN

Are you male or female: "White Man"
Describe yourself: "Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy"
How do you feel about yourself: "I'm Going Slightly Mad"
Describe where you currently live: "Tenement Funster" (that might be a bit extreme, but it is kinda ghetto; at least I didn't use "Sleeping On The Sidewalk" or "Great King Rat")
If you could go anywhere, where would you go: "I Want To Break Free" (one of the weirdest videos ever)
Your best friend is: "You're My Best Friend" (sometimes you can't avoid the obvious ones)
Your favorite color is: "Black Queen"
You know that: "The Show Must Go On"
What's the weather like: "Under Pressure" (I had to get this song on the list somewhere--it's my favorite Queen song--and I'm ok making a forced barometric connection to do it)
Your ideal mate: "She Makes Me (Stormtrooper In Stilettos)" The song isn't great, but it's hard to beat the imagery of a chick who looks good and kicks butt.
Describe your friends: "Good Company" (the video is fantastic)
If your life was a TV show, what would it be called: If I wanted people in my neighborhood to watch, I'd make a show called "Fat Bottomed Girls," but a much better fit for me would be "Play The Game." Especially if I got to hold one of those old school skinny microphones while hosting said show.
What is life to you: "A Kind Of Magic"
What is the best advice you have to give: "Keep Yourself Alive" (probably Queen's most underrated song, and, I've just learned, it was their very first single)
If you could change your name, what would it be: I wanted to choose Flash Gordon, but the song is actually called "Flash's Theme," so I'll go with "Radio Ga-Ga." Maybe that way I could take advantage of people thinking I was Lady GaGa's brother or something. (Hmm, turns out that's actually where she got her name from...thanks for ruining my joke, Lady!)
Your favorite food is: "Another One Bites The Dust" (not many choices for this one)
Your favorite drink is: "Rain Must Fall" (or this one)
Your favorite hang-out is: "Bohemian Rhapsody" (that does actually sound like a potential name for a club or bar, and the song belongs on here somewhere, but I'm pretty sure I would actually feel pretty out of place at any establishment with that name)
Your first words: "Now I'm Here"
Your last words: "It's Late"
What do you want on your tombstone: So many relevant choices here. The obvious one is "Another One Bites The Dust," but I already used it. "All Dead, All Dead," "I Can't Live With You," "Sheer Heart Attack" and "Only The Good Die Young" would also make sense. But my belief in the afterlife (and the fact that it's my favorite Queen song that does not feature David Bowie) makes "Don't Stop Me Now" the most appropriate selection. And I also like the highly inappropriate version.

Okay, let's do the whole thing over again.

Using only song names from ONE ARTIST, answer these questions.

I picked: BON JOVI

Are you male or female: "Put The Boy Back In Cowboy"
Describe yourself: "Wanted Dead Or Alive"
How do you feel about yourself: "In And Out Of Love"
Describe where you currently live: NYC is way more than a "Two Story Town." I don't enjoy climbing the stairs to the 4th floor every time I come home, but still "I Love This Town."
If you could go anywhere, where would you go: "Welcome To Wherever You Are" (I'm pretty easily contented, and not much of a traveller)
Your best friend is: "I'll Be There For You"
Your favorite color is: "Blood On Blood"
You know that: "All I Want Is Everything"
What's the weather like: We're reaching the time of year when it's "99 In The Shade," but still, "Have A Nice Day."
Your ideal mate: "She's A Mystery"
Describe your friends: "Never Say Goodbye" (the best old JBJ ballad)
If your life was a TV show, what would it be called: "It's My Life" (not too creative, but if you want to attract viewers you need a title that lets people know what the show is about, plus it's a good place to link to this--if you only click one link in this post, make it this one)
What is life to you: "(You Want To) Make A Memory" (the best new JBJ ballad, and probably my favorite song of the last five years--it WILL be played at my wedding reception)
What is the best advice you have to give: The advice I most want to give is "Let It Rock," but the best I could give is "Keep The Faith."
If you could change your name, what would it be: "Captain Crash And The Beauty Queen From Mars"
Your favorite food is: "Little Bit Of Soul" (especially chicken and waffles, with some peach cobbler)
Your favorite drink is: "Bad Medicine"
Your favorite hang-out is: "Open All Night" (Denny's!)
Your first words: "You Had Me From Hello"
Your last words: "I'd Die For You" (I thought it was just a figure of speech!)
What do you want on your tombstone: Again, plenty of good choices, including "Who Says You Can't Go Home," "Hey God," and "Love Me Back To Life," but I like "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead."

One more time!

Using only song names from ONE ARTIST, answer these questions.

I picked: HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS

Are you male or female: "He Don't Know" (I like how this simultaneously answers and doesn't answer the question)
Describe yourself: "I Ain't Perfect"
How do you feel about yourself: "Hip To Be Square"
Describe where you currently live: "Once Upon A Time In New York City"
If you could go anywhere, where would you go: "Cruisin'" (probably my favorite song that we played when I worked on Marie Osmond's radio show; there really ought to be more karaoke-based movies)
Your best friend is: "My Other Woman" (my best friends from high school and college are now only in my life electronically; most of my close friends now are women)
Your favorite color is: "Honky Tonk Blues" (it's a cover, but my choices were limited)
You know that: "I Know What I Like"
What's the weather like: "Bad Is Bad"
Your ideal mate: "You Crack Me Up"
Describe your friends: "Stuck With You"
If your life was a TV show, what would it be called: "Workin' For A Livin'" (because it's a fictional version of my life, plus I needed to include this song)
What is life to you: "The Power Of Love" (couldn't find a better spot for this classic tune)
What is the best advice you have to give: "Stop Trying"
If you could change your name, what would it be: "Bobo Tempo"
Your favorite food is: "Pineapple Express" (yes, the soundtrack king has been at it again recently)
Your favorite drink is: "You Left The Water Running"
Your favorite hang-out is: "Finally Found A Home"
Your first words: "Do You Believe In Love" (some of my former improv colleagues once made a cool video using this song, but I can't find it anywhere online--boo!)
Your last words: "I Want A New Drug"
What do you want on your tombstone: I'm not someone who wonders "If This Is It." My tombstone will say "We're Not Here For A Long Time (We're Here For A Good Time)." And listening to these three bands will give you plenty of good times.

2 comments:

shabba shabba said...

I had a dream one time where I was touring with Queen. It was really strange, and I felt kind of dirty when I woke up, like I'd done something wrong. Still, I'm one of the few 20-somethings alive today who has got to talk to Freddie Mercury and compliment his moustache.

I'm disappointed you didn't link to my post where I imagined an entire conversation with a coworker using only Bon Jovi lyrics.

You know you can't make a post about music and not get a comment out of me.

angelalois said...

what a fun post!! I love JBJ and HL&tN lots and lots.